|Trillion Dollar Highway Plans
= Multiple Bypass Surgery
a state by state list
|High Priority Corridors
specified by Congress in 1991, 1995, 1998, 2005, 2012
|Corridors of the Future|
| J. Edgar Hoover Parkway: transportation surveillance,
mileage taxes, RFID & video tolling
Corridor A to X in AL, GA, MD, MS, NC, NY, OH, PA, SC, TN, VA, WV
High Priority Corridor 5: I-73/74 North-South Corridor
I-73, I-74, routes 27, 127, 223, 23, 52, 220, 501
I-73/74 North-South Corridor from Charleston, South Carolina, through Winston-Salem, North Carolina, to Portsmouth, Ohio, to Cincinnati, Ohio, to termini at Detroit, Michigan and Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. The Sault Ste. Marie terminus shall be reached via a corridor connecting Adrian, Jackson, Lansing, Mount Pleasant, and Grayling, Michigan.
High Priority Corridor 15: Urban Highway Corridor M-59
Howell to Sterling Heights - a northern bypass of Detroit
High Priority Corridor 18: NAFTA Superhighway
I-69, I-94, I-530, Routes 59, 77, 281, 82, 61, 51, Purchase Parkway, I-164, Indiana 37
Corridor from Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, through Port Huron, Michigan, southwesterly along Interstate Route 69 through Indianapolis, Indiana, through Evansville, Indiana, Memphis, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Shreveport / Bossier Louisiana, to Houston, Texas, and to the Lower Rio Grande Valley at the border between the United States and Mexico, as follows: [I-69]
- In Michigan, the corridor shall be from Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, southwesterly along Interstate Route 94 to the Ambassador Bridge interchange in Detroit, Michigan.
- In Michigan and Illinois, the corridor shall be from Windsor, Ontario, Canada, through Detroit, Michigan, westerly along Interstate Route 94 to Chicago, Illinois.
- In Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana, the Corridor shall--
- follow the alignment generally identified in the Corridor 18 Special Issues Study Final Report; and
- include a connection between the Corridor east of Wilmar, Arkansas, and west of Monticello, Arkansas, to Pine Bluff, Arkansas
- In the Lower Rio Grande Valley, the Corridor shall-
- include United States Route 77 from the Rio Grande River to Interstate Route 37 at Corpus Christi, Texas, and then to Victoria, Texas, via United States Route 77; [I-69 East]
- include United States Route 281 from the Rio Grande River to Interstate Route 37 and then to Victoria, Texas, via United States Route 59; [I-69 Central] and
- include the Corpus Christi North-side Highway and Rail Corridor from the existing intersection of United States Route 77 and Interstate Route 37 to United States Route 181, including FM511 from United States Route 77 to the Port of Brownsville.
- In Kentucky, the corridor shall utilize the existing Purchase Parkway from the Tennessee State line to Interstate 24.
Detroit $2.7b for new suburban freeway lanes
Route 127 freeway upgrade (future I-73) mostly completed north of Lansing.
I-73 extension (to Ohio line - stopped)
Grand Rapids southern beltway recently completed
Route 59 bypass on north side of Detroit partly built to facilitate white flight, a National Priority Corridor
Downtown Detroit has perhaps the most pathetic mass transit rail system in the country. The "People Mover" is an elevated train that makes a roughly mile long route around the apartheid zone of the downtown skyscraper district. It is the only part of a much larger network that was planned during the Carter administration and scrapped during the Reagan years. The People Mover was originally intended to be a circulation system for the various radial transit networks that would have brought commuters downtown. Now it just looks like a semi-abandoned amusement ride.